Rossmoor: Firewise USA site
Wildfire risk reduction while sustaining Rossmoor’s quality of life
The National Fire Protection Association’s Firewise USA program teaches people how to adapt to living with wildfire and encourages neighbors to work together and take action.
Firewise USA Site
Rossmoor is an official Firewise USA site, having formed a committee of resident volunteers and collaborating with local wildfire experts to complete a community wildfire risk assessment. This assessment has helped Rossmoor’s Firewise task force to develop a three-year action plan that identifies and prioritizes actions to reduce ignition risk to homes.
Part of being a Firewise USA site also involves spending the equivalent of one volunteer hour per dwelling unit in wildfire risk reduction actions.
Some insurance companies offer a discount on property insurance for homes located in a Firewise USA recognized community. Click the Firewise USA program certificate below to download or save it.
More about Firewise
Click here to learn more about Firewise.
Firewise does not require or advocate for the removal of all plants around Mutual buildings. It advocates for a Zone Zero ember-resistant area extending 5 feet from buildings and structures. The following is guidance for this zone, which is subject to change, based on the regulation developed by the Board of Forestry and Fire Protection.
- Use hardscape like gravel, pavers, concrete and other noncombustible mulch materials. No combustible bark or mulch
- Remove all dead and dying weeds, grass, plants, shrubs, trees, branches and vegetative debris (leaves, needles, cones, bark, etc.); Check your roofs, gutters, decks, porches, stairways, etc.
- Remove all branches within 10 feet of any chimney or stovepipe outlet
- Limit combustible items (outdoor furniture, planters, etc.) on top of decks
- Relocate firewood and lumber to Zone 2 (200 feet from buildings)
- Replace combustible fencing, gates, and arbors attach to the home with noncombustible alternatives
- Consider relocating garbage and recycling containers outside this zone
- Consider relocating boats, RVs, vehicles and other combustible items outside this zone