Golden Rain Handyman Service was created in 2008 as a way to help Rossmoor residents with everyday repairs and other help not covered by their mutual coupon. For one low annual fee you receive nearly unlimited handyman service—including labor and most material costs.
The Golden Rain Foundation runs the service through its Mutual Operations Division—the same group with decades of experience repairing manors and providing customer service by phone for your mutual-covered issues.
If you can’t find what you were looking for by clicking the links below, you can give feedback or ask a question in the Feedback section. You can also call (925) 988-7650 for faster response or to get information on enrolling in the Handyman Service.
Thanks for your interest, and we look forward to serving you.
— The Golden Rain Handyman Service Team
Below are descriptions of services provided by a Golden Rain Handyman Service Contract. Items covered by your Mutual are not covered by the Handyman Service, although they may appear on the list. Items not covered under the service will need to be supplied by the resident, or may be purchased at the time of service. If you have any specific questions regarding what the Golden Rain Handyman Service Contract covers, call (925) 988-7650 or check the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section.
Golden Rain Handyman Program
Description of Services
- Fluorescent Tubes/Light Bulbs: Replace any light bulb in the manor including non-functioning appliance bulbs. Resident is responsible for supplying bulbs. Replace defective fluorescent ballast.
- Lamps: Repair or replace defective switches, sockets, and wiring. Replace defective cords and plugs. Replace defective cord line dimmer switches. Assemble and test new lamps.
- Light Fixtures: Raise, lower and install resident-supplied chandeliers. Repair or replace defective light sockets and ballasts. Repair wiring within the fixture. Repair or replace dimmer switch. Install new resident-supplied light fixtures.
- Other Electrical: Replace defective light switches and outlets. Replace defective GFI outlets. Reset tripped circuit breakers. Replace defective wall dimmer switch. Repair electrical wiring shorts within the box. Replace defective door bell, button and transformer.
- Drains: Clear clogged drains within the unit including kitchen sink trap, garbage disposal, dishwasher air gap, bathroom sink trap, toilets, tub, and shower.
- Plumbing: Repair or replace traps, pipes and hoses from the floor to the wall as needed. Repair tub and shower mixing valves. Repair or replace tub and basin stoppers.
- Toilets: Replace defective flush valves, balls, and flappers. Replace seals as needed. Resolve stoppages.
- Sinks, Kitchen and Bath: Replace leaking hoses and supply lines. Replace defective spray heads. Unplug, clean or replace drain traps. Repair or replace defective stoppers. Repair or replace defective pull rods. Remove trap to recover items lost in drain.
- Tub and Showers: Repair or adjust tub and shower doors as needed. Repair or replace mixing valve. Clear clogged drains. Repair stopper. Replace shower head (resident-supplied). Reinstall fallen shower curtain.
- Faucets: Repair faucets within the unit. Replace aerators, if needed. Replace handles (resident-supplied).
- Garbage Disposals: Replace resident supplied disposal. Clear jammed disposals. Reset switch. Replace defective wall switch. Clean or replace air gap as needed. Repair or replace electrical cord.
- Dishwashers: Remove object in tub. Repair interior parts as needed. Tighten counter attachment screws as needed. Repair leaking drain hose.
- Vent Fans: Replace defective switch. Repair fan blade vibration. Replace defective motor.
- Resident Assistance Equipment (all equipment supplied by resident): Install wood blocks under bed. Install raised toilet seat. Install toilet support/grab bars. Tighten loose shower grab bars.
- Refrigerators: Test temperature. Repair defective parts as needed. Compressor excluded.
- Ovens: Repair as needed.
- Range Hoods: Repair as needed.
- Cook Tops: Repair as needed. Glass tops excluded.
- Washing Machines: Replace leaking supply lines. Remove objects from jammed tub and pump. Replace leaking pump hose. Adjust or replace pump belt. Replace defective water level or water fill switch. Replace defective door switch. Repair wiring shorts. Replace (resident-supplied) motor, pump, transmission, timer or control switch.
- Clothes Dryers: Replace light bulb. Temperature test. Re-attach vent hose. Clear clogged vent hose. Replace broken belt. Repair wire short. Replace limit switch. Remove jammed objects from drum. Replace defective heating element. Replace defective temperature sensor. Replace defective door switch. Replace defective start switch. Replace worn roller. Replace worn drum bearing. Replace (resident-supplied) motor and timer units.
- Furnaces: Replace blown fuses. Check heating efficiency. Replace defective high limit switch. Reset tripped circuit breakers. Repair leaking gas line connections. Replace (resident purchased) blower motor. Replace defective electric heat element. Replace defective door switch. Repair loose ducts. Clean filters. Explain thermostat operation. Adjust thermostat calibration. Repair minor electrical problems. Repair or replace electrical contact. Replace defective transformer.
- Central Air Conditioning: Test for efficiency. Reset tripped switch. Replace blown fuse. Reset circuit breaker. Replace defective fan blower blades. Add Freon as needed. Tighten loose supply line connectors. Tighten loose fill cap. Replace defective magnetic electrical control. Replace defective capacitor. Repair defective wiring. Replace defective transformer.
- Water Heaters: Adjust temperature. Inspect for leaks. Relight pilot light. Replace supply line washers as needed. Replace defective thermo coupler. Replace defective heating element. Replaced defective thermostat control. Reset tripped thermostat control. Replace defective safety valve. Check for gas odor. Repair leaking drain valve. Repair wiring.
- Window and Deck Shades: Adjust pull string. Tighten loose brackets. Replace worn end brackets. Install (resident-supplied) shades.
- Closet doors: Adjust or reset doors. Lubricate doors as needed. Replace defective rollers and missing or defective floor glides. Adjust locking handles. Lubricate hinges as needed.
- Closets: Replace broken clothes pole and sockets.
- Sliding Glass Doors and Windows: Lubricate and adjust rollers. Replaced defective rollers. Adjust and lubricate lock. Replace defective lock. Adjust off track door. Replace fallen screens.
- Sliding Screens: Adjust off track door. Lubricate as needed. Replace defective rollers. Adjust or replace latch. Reinsert loose screen in frame.
- Drapery Rods: Lubricate pulley as needed. Replace defective draw cord. Replace defective cord tension device. Replace plastic hook eyelets as needed. Reinstall rod screws. Remove drapes for cleaning and reinstall.
- Drawers: Repair or replace broken runners. Lubricate hinges as needed. Tighten loose screws. Lubricate or replace rollers as needed. Tighten loose pull knobs.
- Cabinets: Tighten loose hinges. Lubricate and adjust hinges as needed. Replace defective hinges. Tighten loose pull knobs.
The “Personal Services” section describes chore type services. Please note that this section is not exhaustive and many other tasks/chores may be performed on a negotiable case-by-case basis.
Golden Rain Handyman Service does not cover cleaning tasks of any kind, although you may use the service to help you access areas to make it easier for you to clean them (i.e. moving a heavy appliance to allow cleaning below or behind it.)
Personal Services – Are intended to help residents with everyday chores that have become a burden. The resident will supply any necessary parts for personal services. Items covered include, but are not limited to:
- Install vacuum cleaner bag
- Remove or install table leaves
- Open or close convertible couches
- Turn mattress
- Move lightweight furniture
- Hang small lightweight shelves
- Move or hang potted plants
- Install paper towel hangers
- Install cup hooks
- Small carpentry jobs
- Duplicate keys made
Other tasks that take less than a half-hour will be considered on a negotiated basis.
If you have any specific legal questions regarding the contract, you may wish to have it reviewed by an attorney. For other questions regarding the terms of the contract call (925) 988-7651.
GOLDEN RAIN HANDYMAN SERVICE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
LENGTH OF CONTRACT
This Agreement shall be effective for one full year from the date that payment for the program and this contract are received.
The cost of the program is $200.00 per year for cooperative units and the Waterford, and $250.00 per year for condominiums. Please make your check payable to Golden Rain Foundation or GRF.
The resident purchasing the service program is entitled to four (4) service calls per month for his/her manor for services listed on the Service Description List attached to this Agreement for the term of the Agreement. Services not listed on the Service Description List are generally excluded except that requests for services not on the Service Description List may, at Golden Rain’s sole discretion, be honored.
For purposes of this Agreement a service call is one trip to a manor to perform services provided such trip does not exceed four hours. Single trips shall be considered two service calls if they exceed four hours. If additional trips are needed to complete the services requested it will not count as another service call unless such additional trips cause the total service time to exceed the four hour limit.
All parts required for services under this Agreement will be supplied by Golden Rain unless it states otherwise in the Service Description List. Parts required to be supplied by the resident may be purchased by the resident from Golden Rain at the time of service. Parts are subject to availability.
Golden Rain does not assume responsibility or liability for any damage or loss in any way related to Golden Rain’s alleged failure to obtain parts in a timely manner.
APPOINTMENTS AND HOURS
Services will be scheduled and services will be performed during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, excluding holidays. To schedule services a resident should call (925) 988-7650 and reference the Golden Rain Handyman Service.
Services requested by the resident after hours or on holidays will not be covered by this Agreement regardless of whether they fall within the scope of services set forth on the Service Description List.
Golden Rain does not assume responsibility or liability for any damage or loss in any way related to Golden Rain’s alleged untimely response to any “emergency” or other request for service.
TRANSFER TO NEW OWNER
A resident’s rights and obligations under this Agreement shall be transferred during the term of the Agreement to any individual that subsequently purchases his/her manor. This transfer shall occur automatically upon change in ownership and at no charge. Under no circumstances may a resident’s rights under this Agreement be transferred to a different address than that under which it was purchased.
EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS
Golden Rain will not in any way pay for any services performed by anyone other than Golden Rain, unless ordered, or, authorized in writing, by Golden Rain. This Agreement shall not apply to any appliance or electronic product covered by an express warranty. Golden Rain reserves that right to refuse to service/repair any appliance or other component which in its sole discretion is too unsafe, old or worn to warrant further repair and/or service. This Agreement is intended to cover handyman service necessitated as a result of ordinary wear and tear and does not apply to repairs or services necessitated by such intervening causes as wars, floods, water, water damage, lightening, wind and windstorms, earthquakes, fires, smoke, acts of God, thefts, riots, vandalism, or misuse or abuse of a component.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY AND DAMAGES
Golden Rain’s entire liability for any claim related to services provided under this Agreement shall in no event exceed the purchase price of the service package.
In addition, Golden Rain will not be responsible for any general or consequential damages arising out of or in any way related to services provided under this Agreement.
A resident agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Golden Rain for any claim, injury or harm suffered by an employee or agent of Golden Rain providing services under this Agreement if such claim, injury or harm is due in whole or in part to the negligent acts or omissions of resident.
This Agreement may be cancelled within 30-days of receipt. Requests for cancellation shall be made in writing and sent to the Director of Mutual Operations at 800 Rockview Dr, Walnut Creek, California 94595. Upon receipt of a timely notice of cancellation, a resident shall receive a full refund of the costs for the service program provided no services have been rendered under the Agreement. If services have been rendered at the time of cancellation, a resident shall be entitled to a pro rata refund based on the retail value of services performed.
Attachment (new enrollees): Service Description List
BE SURE TO INCLUDE THIS CONTRACT, SIGNED, ALONG WITH YOUR CHECK MADE TO GRF
FOR SERVICE APPOINTMENTS CALL (925) 988-7650
Golden Rain Handyman Service
800 Rockview Drive | Walnut Creek, CA 94595 | (925) 988-7650 | Fax (925) 988-7632
Below are some frequently asked questions and answers about the Golden Rain Handyman Service. If you don’t see the answer to your question here, you may use the Feedback page or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by clicking here. Questions will be answered by the next business day.
Q: How do I arrange for handyman service at my manor?
A: Call (925) 988-7650. A representative will schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for you.
Q: What is the cost for service?
A: The rates depend on where you live. For cooperatives or Waterford residences, the rate is $200 for a full year. For condominiums, the rate is $250 per year.
Q: Can I pay with a credit card or cash?
A: No. At this time Golden Rain Foundation is only able to accept checks for payment.
Q: How do I join?
A: By signing a Service Agreement and submitting payment. This can be done a few different ways. 1) Visit us in person at the Mutual Operations Division at 800 Rockview Drive where the receptionist can walk you through the process. 2) Call the Order Desk at (925) 988-7650. You will be sent the necessary documents along with a return envelope in which you return the signed Service Agreement and your check. 3) Call the Order Desk at (925) 988-7650 to arrange an appointment for the handyman lead to come to your manor. He will accept your signed Service Agreement and check and also perform a walk-through of your manor if you wish. This will allow you to discuss potential issues and allow him to become familiar with your manor for the future. 4) Print out a copy of the Service Agreement, fill it out and send it with a check for the correct amount to GRF to 800 Rockview Drive, Attn: Handyman Service.
Q: How many requests can I make for service?
A: You are allowed four calls per month with each call allowing up to four hours of work. If additional service is needed for a call, it may be granted at the discretion of management.
Q: Is there a charge per service call?
A: No. The only cost to you is the yearly fee. Parts that are not covered by the Service Agreement will need to be provided by the resident, or paid for at the time of service.
Q: When is the service offered?
A: Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays. You may call for service during those hours, or leave a voice mail outside of those hours and your call will be returned the next business day.
Q: If I sell my unit and move to another manor within Rossmoor, does the Service Agreement move with me?
A: No. The Service Agreement is tied to the manor. The new buyer will retain the Service Agreement benefit.
Q: Can I cancel my Service Agreement?
A: Yes. You may cancel within the first 30 days of signing and receive a full refund if the service has not been used. If the service has been used, you are entitled to a pro-rated refund based on the retail value of services performed.
Q: What is covered by the Service Agreement?
A: Many items are covered. See details of items covered on the Description of Services by clicking here.
Q: Will my Mutual coverage change?
A: No. Maintenance policies for your Mutual remain the same.
If you have other questions not answered on this page, please call (925) 988-7650 or click here to send a question via e-mail.
We welcome your input and feedback on our service. All suggestions and comments are reviewed and considered and questions will be answered promptly. The Golden Rain Handyman Service contact number is (925) 988-7650. Call Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to speak with a representative.
If you have recently had a service call, use e-mail to comment on the service. Please include your address and the date of service. If you would like us to contact you via telephone, remember to include the best number to reach you. If you wish to compliment someone, be sure to include their name.
Comments will be used to improve our service, including the information offered here.